Friday, May 13, 2011

It's Friday, and I'm Thankful

I'm trying to keep up with blogging about gratitude on Fridays.  I haven't had time until now to sit and write, so I'll make it brief.

1) Mary: I'm thankful that in the midst of all her feisty stubbornness, she still makes me laugh on a regular basis.  This week she looked at me and said, "Mama, Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"  The thing is, Mary can't say the "th" sound, so it actually sounded like this, "Mama, Are you finkin' what I'm finkin'?"  It took me a minute to figure out what she was saying, but when I did, I laughed!  Who knows where she gets this stuff??

2) Gary:  This is going to be an expression of gratitude that comes in through the back door, so just bear with me.  Gary was gone Thursday night until pretty late.  I got the kids from school, quickly made dinner and got them out the door for soccer practice.  Came home from practice, got them all showered and pj'ed and tucked in bed.  I was exhausted!  That's when I thought about how very thankful I am for Gary!!  There are many reasons, but this week I was reminded of how great it is that he comes home almost every night, eats with us, plays with the kids, and then gets them all to bed.  Sometimes it takes having to do all that myself to remind me how blessed I am to have Gary helping me along on this journey called parenthood!

3) Caren:  My dear friend, Caren, and I went to the movies this week.  It was such a nice, unusual thing to be out at night with her, going to the movies!!  Words cannot express all the ways in which I am thankful for Caren!!  I also probably can't express (in words that would make sense to you) how much I love the movies!!  Thanks, Caren!  (And thanks, Water for Elephants!)

4) The Cupid Shuffle:  One of my favorite moments this week (maybe this month) was watching Gregory and Ruthie teach Mary the Cupid Shuffle.  They learned it at school.  After they taught Mary, the three of them sang and danced together until I made them go to bed.  I loved every precious minute of it!  "To the right, to the right..... to the left, to the left.... now kick, now kick..... now walk it by yourself, now walk it by yourself...."

What are you thankful for this week???

2 comments:

  1. Caught this on facebook, and wondered if you'd been able to do the one day toilet training marathon with Mary yesterday as you'd hoped. Maybe not, since Gary was gone and you didn't mention it. I forgot to pray as I said I would anyway, so you'll have to give me a heads up when you do. I have experience that the method is effective but I believe in the power of prayer too!

    Also, did you run Thursday? I hope so, but since it didn't show up here, maybe not.

    That said, this post made me happy, because it reminded me that I too have wonderful kids who were funny at that age and now have grandchildren to make me laugh; what you said about Gary could describe Dick (except for weeks he was on call); and I have girlfriends who bless my socks off. I am thankful too.

    Have a great Saturday, Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for these comments, Janet! My plan is to try the toilet training on Tuesday. The big kids were off school on Friday, so that didn't work. I haven't gone back to running yet, but I think I'm going to give it a try tomorrow morning. Thanks for asking!!

    Thanks, too, for sharing what makes you thankful!

    ReplyDelete