Friday, August 06, 2010

In the Moment

Last week it started raining while I was running.  I ran the last mile in the rain, with the sky threatening a serious storm!  It was an exhilarating experience!  Amazing, really.  I was running hard (to beat the storm), with my favorite music blasting in my ears, and the rain coming down on me.  I felt so very present, right in that moment.  All of me experienced the adrenaline, the noise, and the rain on my skin.

How many times can we say that we are fully present in one experience?  As moms, my friends and I often laugh that we are never able to finish a conversation when our kids are present.  I can't tell you the number of times I've had to call or email a friend, because I realized later that when we were together we started a conversation that we never finished.  How can I be fully present in the moments of my life, when I can't even complete a conversation?  On the other hand, how can I not be?  I know that life is short.  I know that my kids are only young once, but I often find myself wishing away the hours, days, and even years (i.e. "If I can just get through this day.", "Summer is ALMOST OVER!", "I'll enjoy the pool more next summer when Mary is older.", "When Mary starts school..." etc.).  I have to figure out a way to truly cherish the time that I have with each one my kids, even in the midst of trying to manage all three of them at once.  At this stage in my life, is it possible to fully present in these precious moments? Any thoughts?  Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment