Sunday, March 06, 2011

Post-Oscar Post

Here are my thoughts on the Oscar results. (If you haven't read my other Oscar posts and want to, you can here and here). There were no surprises this year (in the major categories).  While it can be exciting for someone unexpected to win, I always find myself feeling really badly for the person who is considered the shoe-in, and then doesn't win.  The Nominated always talk about how they try not to listen to the press, or how they know that anyone could win at any given awards show, but I suspect that it's a different kind of disappointment when you're the "favorite" but not the winner.

The best picture win for The King's Speech made me really happy.  I really loved that movie. (Right?  You know that!).   It's certainly Oscar bait, as they say, but I thought it was an amazing movie - definitely deserving of an Oscar. Colin Firth won best actor (yay!), but I do kind of wish Geoffrey Rush had won for best supporting (an "upset" that would've been ok with me, contrary to my previous paragraph!)  While we're on the subject, I think I would've preferred an upset in the supporting actress category also.  I picked Hailee  Steinfeld, but I also loved the performance of Amy Adams. (Melissa Leo won.  Maybe I need to change my stance on no surprises at the Oscars!)  Natalie Portman was beyond amazing in the best actress category, and I'm really glad she won.

Ok, a few words on the Oscar telecast.  There's been a lot of talk about the evening's hosts: Anne Hathaway and James Franco, and most of it is negative.  I'm not really one to criticize, and this is no exception.  Anne Hathaway's energy level was definitely about double James Franco's, but that seemed in keeping with their personalities. (This is off-topic, but I really enjoyed the fact that James Franco wore a huge cardigan sweater over his tux at the Independent Spirit Awards that were televised the night before the Oscars!! Did you see that?)  I loved the movie montage that Anne and James did in the beginning, inserting themselves in to scenes from the best picture nominees (especially the True Grit part)!  If you didn't see it, you can watch it on youtube.  I will say, though, the Back to the Future part at the end was a little lame.

Since it's the thing to do, I'll also say a few words about the Oscar 2011 dresses!!  If you would like to see People.com's picks for best dressed, click here. I had a hard time finding a worst dressed list, and maybe that should've been my cue to stick with the my claim of not being one to criticize (see above paragraph).  I persevered, though, just in case you'd be disappointed in incomplete coverage of Oscar fashion!  So, here's your list! Enjoy!  I think it's funny that there are some dresses on both lists.  My favorites were those dresses worn by Halle Berry, Hailee Steinfeld, and Nicole Kidman (Nicole's, btw, was on the worst list).  I have to say that Natalie Portman (pregnant) and Penelope Cruz (just gave birth) looked fantabulous!!  (I will only celebrate them and not spew mean/jealous words...).  I thought it was a great year for fashion.  In my opinion, there were no disasters, but my least favorite dresses were those worn by Melissa Leo and Cate Blanchett (Cate's, btw, was on People's best list).

The Adjustment BureauWhile I'm sure the celebrities (especially those nominated) are happy that the award season is over, I'm a little sad.  I'll admit to a very small bout with post-Oscar depression.  It's gone now, though, and I'm thinking I'd like to go see The Adjustment Bureau. Have any of you seen it?? I read a review that said that LOST fans would like it!!

I'd love to hear your post-Oscar thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, LZP for this post! :-) I saw the movie montage the next day, and I loved it, since I DID see Inception, so I got the whole levels/elevator thing. I loved it, and realized that THAT is my favorite part of the Oscars....the introduction! I seem to remember Billy Crystal riding a horse, and laughing my head off over the years. My movie watching days have waned so much, though, and so my Oscar viewing tapered off as well. I do love a GOOD movie, though, and I'm glad they are still making them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one's for you, Jinny! I'm glad you enjoyed it!! I think you should rent The King's Speech and 127 Hours this year! :)

    ReplyDelete